In 2013, President Obama announced the goal of a national conversation on mental health and the “Now is the Time” plan. The goal of the program is to increase access to mental health treatment, services and supports – particularly for youth and young adults.
In October of 2014, Oklahoma was one of 17 states awarded with a “Now is the Time” grant through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
Oklahoma Now is the Time (ONIT) is using the five-year grant for three goals:
- Increase awareness and establish access for the public and target population related to serious mental health conditions that impact young adults in transition.
- Identify, reach out to and engage young adults in need of services.
- Effectively treat and support young adults ages 16-25 in need of services.
What if i’m in Crisis Right Now?
If you or someone you know is in a medical or life-threatening crisis right now, get help quickly.
- Call your doctor
- Call 911 for emergency services
- Go to the nearest hospital emergency room
- Call the toll-free, 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at:
TTY: 1.800.799.4TTY (4889)
To learn more about the ONIT Initiative or find resources and information for mental illnesses, please visit their website.