As VRCs prepare youth to join the workforce of tomorrow, access to reliable and accessible information about benefits and earnings is essential—as is access to qualified benefits and work incentive planners. The VRC Just-In-Time Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Toolkit is comprised of 10 modules based on information most essential to assist VRCs in supporting youth who receive SSI disability benefits and their families in navigating a path toward successful employment. Each module is based on a specific knowledge needed to support a youth’s understanding of SSI disability entitlements. Each module was developed to take no longer than 15 minutes with links to test the user’s knowledge as well as print out “take and go” pages along with additional resources.
As a result of attending this webinar, trainees will:
- Be introduced to the SSI Youth Toolkit;
- Explore strategies for integrating the tool into existing statewide training efforts for VRCs;
- Explore other avenues for accessing VRC training;
- Learn how to connect with a Y-TAC Technical Assistance Liaison for ongoing support on this topic; and,
- Learn about the newest, SSDI and Medicare online toolkit (will be introduced on September 19, 2019 via webinar).
Thomas P. Golden, Ed.D., CRC, Executive Director, K. Lisa Yang and Hock E. Tan Institute on Employment and Disability – ILR School, Cornell University
James R. Sheldon, Jr., J.D., Disability Policy Consultant, Buffalo, New York (former Supervisor, Work Incentives Counseling Projects, Neighborhood Legal Services, Inc.)